Friday 20 March 2009

q from interview, the longest answer, more will follow

Is there a wider message to your music?

This aspect of my music comes and goes in phases. I do include politics in the songs I write - it is a subject that evokes emotion, and therefore is valid for artistic purposes - but try and do it from an angle that won't be so off putting to those who won't get into the political music per se. I myself get bored of political music easily, so try not to create it in too cliched a manner.

For example, one song on climate change is called 'Scuba Gear For Kittens', our song on house prices is called 'Rent Boy' and we reworked 'Its My Party' to be about how the Labour Party had changed its colours, to very well appreciated comic effect which seemed to hide the bile behind it well!